St Pauls Chapel Stansted Park

On 16 April 1644 the old Stansted House was attacked by parliamentary troops.  By the end of the day, the House, dating on this site from Norman times, was in ruins.  The new Stansted House was built on a better site, commanding views down across the coastal plain to the Solent and over parkland to the East and West, some 200 metres to the North-East was completed in 1684.  The ruins of the former Stansted House successively became stock sheds, a brewery and a bailiff's house until the Chapel of St Paul was built in the ruins by the Reverend Lewis Way, in 1807.  The Regency building incorporates earlier structures, and is by an unknown architect.

About the chapel

The Chapel you see today shows much of its colourful history in the fabric of the building.  It is recorded that on the day the Chapel was consecrated in 1890 the weather was so bad that the Bishop of Chichester refused to go outside, and the graveyard was consecrated through the Vestry window!

The building is Grade I listed and was the inspiration to the poet John Keats when he was writing the Eve of St Agnes.  Keats was present at its consecration.

CHAPEL REPAIR SCHEME

Our Chapel restoration project has been supported by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Thanks to National Loettery players we have been able to carry out restorative works to the outside and the inside of the Chapel.

For more information please visit the Heritage Lottery Fund website.

HLF Stansted Park

Family day out

A Grand Day Out

Loads of things to see and do, the perfect family day out.

Plan your day

weddings

Weddings at Stansted

Manor house wedding venue, lanscaped grounds & chapel.

Wedding Venue Hire

Business venue

Corporate Functions

Corporate functions and business away days up to 150.

Business venue hire

Lettings

Office Space

Commercial and residential properties on the estate to let.

View property lettings

Accreditations

Website by Visual Mile